The deadline to submit nominations for the Presidential Awards for Excellence in Science, Mathematics and Engineering Mentoring (PAESMEM) is just weeks away. Submitting a PAESMEM nomination now will ensure that completed nominations are not only submitted on time, but also are in compliance with nomination guidelines (NSF 16-534).
The National Science Foundation (NSF) offers webinars to assist the STEM community with completion of the full nomination package. Only two webinars remain in early June. The webinars provide guidance for preparing a completed PAESMEM nomination package as well as technical guidance on FastLane submission, particularly for non-academic individuals and organizations. These technical assistance webinars provide valuable tips to participants.
Below are some frequently-asked questions and tips for preparing a competitive nomination:
How do I submit my nomination materials?
Official and complete PAESMEM nominations must be submitted via the NSF FastLane system or Grants.gov. Please refer to the PAESMEM solicitation for registration instructions and technical assistance. The names of potential nominees, both individuals and organizations, may still be submitted for the 2017 PAESMEM award. Visit www.PAESMEM.net to nominate or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the nominee’s contact information. Nominees should refer to the PAESMEM solicitation for FastLane registration, nomination preparation and submission instructions.
Is there a preferred format for letters of support, and to whom should the letters be addressed?
There is no format for the letters of support. The letters of support should be addressed to the “PAESMEM Team.”
What are the tips for submitting a competitive nomination?
- Follow the guidance in the solicitation for your category of award. Clearly state and show the number of years of mentoring activity and the population being mentored, for example.
- Show the relationship of mentoring philosophy to implementation practices.
- Data is essential. Show the data in ways that it is understandable to support the impact criterion.
- For organizational nominations, provide a clear assessment and evaluation section. (Required)
- Address replication of the mentoring practices where appropriate.
- Think about the “WOW” Factor for reviewers. Make the nomination factual and exciting.
Potential nominees or their nominators may register for the remaining scheduled webinars in June. Log into the PAESMEM website to learn more. Awardees are notified by a representative of the White House.